A phone with a camera can used to take pictures of the car's speedometer.

Not very precise (since car speedometers typically lie by a few mph/kph),
but keeps date and time with the image for later reference.

If your car's speedometer is broken, and you see someone you know driving in
the next lane, you can use the phone to call them up and ask.

-- Kostya