1. Funny, I was just working on similar.
I use a box instead of circle.
Here is an example using IE7
(doesn't work in chrome for some reason)
http://goo.gl/LTXMW

2. I know this is overkill, but I use this haversign routine to
compute distance.
http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

3. Mysql has a geo-difference Radius thing which I don't use, because
like I said, "I prefer the box"...
-cellurl