On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:21 AM, Mark Carter <mjc1...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> As a test, building against SDK 9, I compiled an APK referencing
> @android:drawable/presence_video_away which was introduced in SDK 9.
>
> Then I ran the APK on a SDK 4 emulator and got an exception indicating
> resource not found (as above). However, it referenced a seemingly
> random resource (one defined in the APK).  This problem was raised
> here 8 months ago:

This isn't really a problem; it is working as intended.  You are using
something from a newer platform that doesn't exist on an older platform.
 What do you expect to happen when you run on the older platform?  The older
platform never knew what this thing was.  It turns out that there are a lot
of drawables in the platform that aren't in the SDK, so you are using a
larger resource number than what was publicly defined in the older platform,
ending up with (pretty randomly) one of its private drawables.

If you are using new APIs and trying to run on an older platform, you just
need to make sure that you don't try to use them when on the older platform.
 This applies to Java APIs as well as resources.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

answer them.