Make sure "stay awake" in the Application | Development menu settings
is enabled - if I don't have that enabled, adb will regularly crash
when the phone goes to sleep.  Sometimes unplugging the phone's USB
cord and plugging it back in will help, but sometimes I've found that
periodically the windows drivers will just stop working, and adb can't
see the phone no matter what I do - I basically have to reboot to
restore connectivity.  Are you sure the drivers installed properly to
begin with?

-josh