Ok, for #1 I'll just keep trying the card and see if I can manage to talk to
it.
For the additional issues, the sequence of events and relevant code is as
follows:
I scan a card with my app set to receive the scans. The appropriate Activity
opens,  retrieves a Tag object, and executes an AsyncTask.
The AsyncTask determines the card technology and based on the card
technology, attempts to open a connection to that card as follows:
private static NfcB getNfcBTag(Tag tag) throws Exception
{
    NfcB myTag = NfcB.get(tag);
    try
    {
        if(!myTag.isConnected())
        {
            myTag.connect();
        }
    }
    catch(Exception e)
    {
        Log.e(TAG, e.getMessage());
    }
    return myTag;
}

The above method throws an exception on myTag.connect(). The exception is a
java.IOException, but the message and source are both null, so I have no
idea why it's happening. Now, if I change this method to be IsoDep instead
of NfcB (or NfcA, for that matter), I am able to successfully connect to the
card, send a message to the card, and retrieve a response from that card.

-- Paul Christensen