   MM> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Jake Colman <col...@ppllc.com> wrote:
   >> 1) Why would getBestProvider return null?

   MM> GPS is not POWER_LOW, AFAIK.

   >>  Shouldn't it always be ble to tell me something?

   MM> If you ask for criteria that cannot be met, you will get null.

The API docs say that all criteria but cost will be relaxed until a
match can be found.  Is the API buggy or did I misunderstand the
intention?

   >> 2) Why would a network provider be disabled?

   MM> Because the user didn't check the checkbox to enable it.

Hmmmmm.  That never occurred to me!  I didn't think there was a separate
option for network locating; I thought it was just for GPS.

   >>  Shouldn't that always be   available - assuming that you are not
   >> in airplane mode and can make   phone calls?

   MM> No.

Because it might be disabled as you stated above?

   >> 3) If the GPS is on, shouldn't my code pick up the GPS if network is
   >>   disabled?

   MM> GPS is not POWER_LOW, AFAIK.

Ok.  So what is recommended practice for my location needs?  I am happy
with a coarse location so if network and GPS are both available I'd
prefer using the network (uses less power and can obtain a fix more
quickly).  On other hand, if all you have is GPS I certainly don't mind
making use of that.

Is removing the power requirements the proper way to achieve that?  if
my own phone had this issue I would test it.  Since I am sending a beta
app to my user I'd rather have an idea of what to expect before writing
some new code.

Thanks.

--
Jake Colman -- Android Tinkerer