Sigh.  Everybody here is confused, including Mark and the documentation.

The -list argument to keytool *does not take the -keypass argument.*
*
*
It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for it to take it. It does not
provide you with any information about the private key, and thus has no need
whatsoever for the key password.

If you type 'keytool', with no arguments, it explains what arguments it
takes.

Here's what it says for -list:

-list        [-v | -rfc] [-protected]
             [-alias <alias>]
             [-keystore <keystore>] [-storepass <storepass>]
             [-storetype <storetype>] [-providername <name>]
             [-providerclass <provider_class_name> [-providerarg <arg>]] ...
             [-providerpath <pathlist>]

Note -- no -storepass parameter. It is not legal.

It happens that the Sun implementation does not reject it if you give it
this unwanted, unneeded argument. But that does *not* make it correct to
supply it.

I would report the documentation bug, if I knew where to do so.