I was getting this yesterday, My code was something like this:

mainActivity.java:

//all the usual stuff here, onCreate, etc
boolean ssl = getSettingFromPrefs(); //not a real method, just an
example
Server s = new Server(host, port, ssl);
new Thread(s).start();

Server.java

//all the usual stuff here, constructors, etc.

public void run() {
if (ssl)
   //run code here and get a socket running over ssl

else
   //use normal socket.

The ssl code was 100% the problem, when it was commented out, it gave
no issue.

I removed that code yesterday because it kept giving that error, so I
wasn't able to give a proper example now with real code, but hopefully
this example was clear.