I agree with the sentiment of the post.There is definitely a lot of
scope for improvment in layouts. If layout designing was on par with
other technologies it would make life easy for a lot of developers.

It is not just a matter of learning xml. I know xml fully well, and
haven't used the gui tool yet. I only create layouts with handwritten
xml. But when you encounter two attributes like "gravity" and
"layout_gravity" you scratch your head and  question why the names are
not more intuitive (for something that sound so close).