This makes me want to scream. EXIF has got to be one of the worst standards
out there in common use; this is just one of the many major problems.

You'll find that virtually nothing handles EXIF well, so you'll be in good
company.

I checked the original Japanese standard, in hopes that there actually IS a
standard behavior here, but no such luck; it's as ambiguous as the
translated English version.

I would suggest avoiding making your model detection not depend on exact
matches. I'd suggest building an ordered set of rules with wildcards, each
rule asserting a specific set of attributes.

Then you can go through the rules, identifying every match (this lookup can
be cached). You can either apply them in priority order, avoiding
overwriting attributes established by higher-priority rules, or in reverse
priority order, blindly overwriting.

This really ought to be a shared industry effort, and a sane replacement
format for EXIF designed. One would hope that XMP would be that sane
replacement -- but it appears to have the same problem.