Perhaps you yourself are getting in the way when you offer offense in this
way? I for one am glad that Dianne does not work at the sort of company you
describe, and there's really no way to take your remarks addressing her job
security but as a personal attack. I'm not sure why you're doing this; it
seems out of character for you.

I am probably one of the few people on the list who'd find your SylloGizmo
references interesting, and I did not find it relevant. Hence, in effect,
commercial SPAM. (I know that was not your intent).

If you found Dianne's answer inadequate, just answer it yourself.

Like this:

No, it's not OK to call System.exit().

I further argue that any discussion of hypothetical exceptions are not what
the OP needs. If you're asking the question, you don't have nearly enough
understanding of the issues to even evaluate them. For example, whether
System.exit() cleans up the activity stack (it doesn't, as has been pointed
out) is not something someone who is asking this question understands at
this point.