I have a function inside one of my activities that calculates some
statistics and takes a little time to generate a report.  I want to
display a progressDialog while this is going on to give the user some
feedback that something is happening while he is waiting.  The problem
I am having is that I can't get my progressDialog to display no matter
what I do.  Is there some obscure factoid that I am missing out on
here that is preventing this to work.  This problem is particularly
perplexing because I am using similar code elsewhere in the Activity
and that works ok.  Any ideas

Here is my code:

//* ADD THE CODE FOR THE PROGRS DIALOG
                //* Start the progress dialog
                xReportProgress = ProgressDialog.show(this, "", "Preparing
Report.");
                xReportProgress.show();

                switch(iReportFormat)
                {
                        case callLog.REPORT_FORMAT_CSV:
                                sReportOutput = this.createCSVReport();
                                break;

                        case callLog.REPORT_FORMAT_XML:
                                sReportOutput = this.createXMLReport();
                                break;

                        default:

ed.app.commTracker.main.systemLog.logError("Invalid report
format.");
                                return;

                }

                //* Close the dialog so we can display the intent chooser
                xReportProgress.dismiss();