I read Dan's message a bit differently than it seems everyone else has. I
too have 40+ years of experience, and I think I see where you're coming
from, and I'm not distracted by the "legs" remark.

Yes, there's a lot of competition. What this argues, really, is that you
should either be willing to invest a lot of time and effort, and really
sharpen your development skills -- or get out of the game. AND you need a
good product idea, and some good marketing of it.

Product + marketing may indeed lead you to custom development for
corporations. The big downside is that it doesn't really give you much room
for innovation. A variation on that is to identify a need common to many
corporations -- develop the idea, and market it to multiple corporations.
The potential payout there is higher. So is the risk. A hybrid approach is
to get one corporation to sign on with some development funding, retain
ownership, and then market it more widely.

The other big point I see Dan making here, is that you should have some
breadth. Dan suggests knowing other mobile phone environments, desktop
environments, Qt, web technologies, servers, databases, and the cloud.

I would add to those, networking, security and encryption, XML, development,
build, and test methodologies, etc.

I'd say: don't focus on the specific technologies so much, as the technology
and how it is used and why. Technologies come and go, but as you point out,
the basic needs those technologies address come and go.

So while "cloud computing" may be somewhat of a fad -- it also fills a
specific need, or range of needs, that aren't going away. I don't expect a
return to the "pre-cloud" world.

Similarly, Android itself may have to evolve considerably, or be supplanted.
Either way, it won't happen all at once. Your experience with Android will
be valuable -- and will teach you to appreciate what follows, whether it be
a Better Android, or something new.

But don't target your career on "Android". Android doesn't have the legs
that "MS-DOS/Windows/Windows NT/Windows" has had, nor even what MacOS has
enjoyed. In fact, I hope it doesn't! That's not a negative thought, but
rather a hope that we'll have an easier time forward to new technologies; it
would be a shame to be stuck so deeply with decisions made in what will be
eventually viewed as the dawn of mobile computing -- the way we are
currently tied to so many decisions made in the dawn of personal computing!

So your career choice should not be "Android" as a career. Android should
merely be a near-term step. "Mobile computing" is a viable career, but also
will cut off a lot of what I predict Android will become. Really, I suggest
not deciding on a career in this field at all. I don't think ANYBODY has
NEARLY enough vision of the future to design their career. You just have to
make it up as you go along, and try to avoid dead-ends and find what's
interesting to you.

And I think Android is a perfectly reasonable career step -- I think it will
lead you in a lot of potential directions, and give you opportunities, if
you work hard at it, and continually learn. I know I personally frequently
get inquiries from people looking to hire me for Android and other mobile
phone work, and the market is expanding. You'll have competition, but if you
work at it, you'll have an advantage over all the competition that comes
later.

Whether it makes sense as a career for YOU depends on whether you enjoy
doing it, and you enjoy the kind of work it brings. It's not going to be as
stable as working in the IT department of a bank, for example. These are
generally smaller projects, there will be more rapid change. It may more
resemble working in a consulting organization, than a traditional
development organization. Or, if you opt for the solo route, working as an
individual consultant than as a individual product developer. That can be an
advantage or a disadvantage, but it definitely can mean quicker
time-to-market, faster feedback, etc.

For a number of reasons, it isn't my primary career. There are a lot of my
skills it does not leverage, and going the solo route or small company route
doesn't meet my needs for things like health insurance, which narrows my
options. You'll have to evaluate the decision based on your own
circumstances, and the opportunities that are available to you, given your
skills, your location, and other factors.

Your circumstances WILL change. The business WILL change. Technologies WILL
change. Plan on continuously learning new skills -- for the rest of your
career.

Good luck.