I'm working on a project that requires my app to be able to send DTMF
tones on the voice's uplink frequency during an active call.

My 2 conditions are:

- We don't use a customized Android platform
- We don't need to root the phone

I've spent several days doing my homework and am aware that in-call
DTMF sending is not supported by the current SDK/standard APIs.
However, by using the relevant classes in
com.android.internal.telephony I am hoping to mimick how the native
Phone app does this. I followed this site on how to use internal APIs
for standard 3rd party apps:
https://devmaze.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/using-com-android-internal-part-1-introduction/

I've also setup myself up with the Android OS dev environment and am
able to run the Phone app in debug mode on an emulator to figure its
inner workings.

I tried various ways on a stock standard emulator but the errors I got
were:

1) After trying to install a renamed app based on Phone.apk's source
using the sharedUserId of android.uid.phone, I got:

Installation error: INSTALL_FAILED_SHARED_USER_INCOMPATIBLE

No doubt due to the fact I don't have the system cert to sign it.

2) After trying to write a custom app based on the relevant DTMF tone
sending code from Phone.apk's source, I get the following error at
setting up the PhoneFactory;

java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: not allowed to send
broadcast android.provider.Telephony.SPN_STRINGS_UPDATED.

No doubt due to the fact my app doesn't have the right permissions -
AndroidManifest.xml is setup with the same permissions as Phone.apk.

I'm at a loss as to what else I could try. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Simon.