I need to make a table of 12 rows and 7 columns contained in a scroll
view.  That I can do.  But in addition I want to be able to detect a
touch on any cell and dynamically alter the appearance of that cell
(sort of like a Select).  I know that table views do not support
selection like a list view does.  But I would like to implement my own
Select functionality in this scrolling table by changing the
background color of the selected cell.  That I also know how to do,
once I figure out how to detect the touch.  One problem might be that
the user needs to touch the cells in order to affect a scroll.  That
is OK in my app if the touched cell also gets selected in the
process.  But in the iPhone I was able to implement this same
scrolling selectable table and the iOS was able to distinguish between
a touch for scrolling purposes and a touch that did not scroll.  So
scrolling the table did not result in a select of the cell being
touched.   But as I said it would be OK if I can't make that
distinction in Android.  I just want to know what API I can use to
detect a touch in any cell of a scrolling table view.