On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Raghav Sood <raghavs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From what I can understand: The app reads some sort of feed from the blog
> that is used to respond to comments. The user is then notified about the
> response.

Yup - that sums it up quite nicely. It's dirt simple - a poor man's RSS
reader.

Steps:
1 - Post to a blog somewhere that can be subscribed via RSS. Get the url for
this feed.
2 - Start an IntentService that does the checking.
3 - Parse the xml, searching from most recent until last time you last
checked (saved as SharedPreference).
4 - Saved data about each post you find that is new. (Title, URL, etc)
5 - Send notification that links the user to a given post.
6 - Profit

I have a config file that lets me set up multiple feeds, so I use the same
strategy for responding to comments, notifying users about issues, or that a
new version is available. Will probably create a "beta" feed soon too.

I'm looking to improve this in the future as some people have commented that
the text-message style notification can be annoying, but works well enough
for now.