Hello all,

I know that someone already asked this question before :http://
groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/
b8ae536a3ae444f3#
but I still don't understand fully. I hope someone can explain this to
me.

I retrieve the Cell Id and the location area code with :

GsmCellLocation mGsmCellLocation = (GsmCellLocation)
mTelephonyManager.getCellLocation();
mLocation.setLatitude(GPSlocation.getLatitude());
mLocation.setLongitude(GPSlocation.getLongitude());

If I am using 2G everything seems to be fine and the cid and lac are
within the 0xffff border. However if I am in a UMTS network I get
numbers that are quite large and far over the 0xffff border. Since I
need reliable numbers I want to ask here what exactly is being
returned in an GSM and UMTS network. I read in other threads that the
large numbers are hex which makes not much sense to me. In the
mentioned thread a user uses cid&0xffff to get smaller numbers but
that makes also no sense to me.

I need the real cid and lac in an GSM and UMTS network. How do I
retrieve it?

I used different Apps from other developers like Netmonitor, Antennas,
NetworkInfo, cellumap, G-Mon but somehow they also show different
numbers for the Cell id and LAC. This confused me even more.

Hope someone can just explain me why the numbers differ and why I get
numbers that are far over the 0xffff border that is mentioned in the
documentation:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/telephony/gsm/GsmCellLocation.html#getCid%28%29

Thanks in advance,
Benjamin