Hey Sycobob,

This varies a lot depending on weather you're using the 1.6, 2.1, or
2.2 SDK.  It is possible to use the 1.6 SDK and have successful
results on every phone, but it is very tedious.   If I could take it
all back, I'd wrote a different version for 1.6,2.1,2.2 and then
allowed anything 2.2+ fall into the 2.2 category when stability was
achieved.

I'd suggest looking into:
http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/backward-compatibility.html
section - using a wrapper class.

This may only be true if you want to support 1.6 phones and beyond.  I
haven't approached testing 2.2 audio control build on a 1.6 phone, I'm
guessing it doesn't work 100%

Ryan Mattison
http://www.ryangmattison.com