If you are implementing a game or any other application that has
complex animations, a SurfaceView will eek out more frames per
second.  That is, your class that extends View and implements the
custom drawing could extend SurfaceView instead of View to have
minimum overhead aside from the drawing.

My suggestion would be to start with a normal view (calling invalidate
() from within the onDraw() method to keep the animation going),
profile the drawing time, and only then bother switching to a surface
view if the frames per second is too low (60 frames per second or
greater is perfect, 30 is the minimum to not start looking choppy).

an example of using a normal view for a game:

http://code.google.com/p/apps-for-android/source/browse/trunk/DivideAndConquer/src/com/google/android/divideandconquer/DivideAndConquerView.java?r=40

to see an example of a SurfaceView in action, see LunarView in the
lunar lander app in the sample code included with the SDK.

then again, if you know you want to maximize the frames per second
from the outset, you might just start with a SurfaceView.

Karl