That refers to the AudioTrack and AudioRecord interfaces which allow
for things like recording from the microphone and generating raw audio
in the application to be streamed to the audio output. It does not
include a byte stream interface to the MediaPlayer, for example.

I don't see that those changes address Dan McGuirk's needs unless he's
planning on doing MP3 decode in Java.

Cupcake is pretty much feature complete and we're working on
stabilization now. I'm hoping to do some major updates to the media
framework in the release after Cupcake.