On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Carl Minden <carlmin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, if there was a parse error I wonder why no exception was thrown,
> as far as I can tell it just silently failed and didn't send the cert
> to the server.

Because the framework code swallowed it? Did you see anything suspicious
in logcat (warnings, etc.)?

> The reason I am not using the openssl tool is because I am creating
> the certificate on the phone using an RSA keypair generated at
> runtime.  I know it probably sounds like i'm doing something wrong/
> stupid :), but without getting into the details of my system the only
> thing I need this cert for is to use the keypair to perform SSL client
> auth and it really doesn't matter if it is signed.

I see. Probably easier to do in Java (using Bouncy Castle APIs) though.
Still, client authentication should involve the server checking if it trusts
the client certificate (even if it is self-signed), and it should verify that
it's not been modified. How do you verify it's not modified if it's not
signed?