On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Doug Gordon <gordo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I did, and it is not clear why I would want to use one vs. the
> other in many cases since the end behavior seems to be the same.

In your particular use case perhaps. I have not used Fragments yet, but
reading the description implies to me that if you add() you are leaving the
exist list of Fragments in a given container within the Activity alone and
adding your new Fragment to that list. With replace() you are wiping the
container of all its existing Fragments and replacing them all with your
new Fragment.

I could very well have that wrong. This shouldn't be too hard for you to
verify if you're already working with Fragments.

>  The "add" method also implies that you're adding the fragment "to
> the activity", whereas replace talks about removing and adding "to
> the container".

It says "Add a fragment to the activity state." Not the Activity itself but
its state.
"This fragment may optionally also have its view (if
Fragment.onCreateView<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Fragment.html#onCreateView(android.view.LayoutInflater,%20android.view.ViewGroup,%20android.os.Bundle)>
returns
non-null) into a container view of the activity."

So you also have the option to place the Fragment in a specific container.
Then if you use replace() specifying that container, those Fragments in
that container would go away.

Again, I haven't used Fragments and that's just what I'm gathering from
reading the function definitions. YMMV. You should be able to test this.