>From within my java app, I'd like to be able to retrieve the  values
of some fields in a core resource layout file.  In other words, if I
wanted to retrieve the different layout_height values in ~/frameworks/
base/core/res/res/layout/status_bar_latest_event.xml (selected because
it isn't too large for this post) ...

    <LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
        android:layout_height="65sp"
        android:orientation="vertical"

        <com.android.server.status.LatestItemView android:id="@+id/
content"
                android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                android:layout_height="64sp"
                android:background="@drawable/
status_bar_item_background"
                android:focusable="true"
                android:clickable="true"
                android:paddingRight="6sp"

        </com.android.server.status.LatestItemView>

        <View
            android:layout_width="fill_parent"
            android:layout_height="1sp"
            android:background="@drawable/divider_horizontal_bright"
            />

    </LinearLayout>

... how would I get them from within my java code?

I'm probably too C/C++/assembly to figure this out, but for what it's
worth I tried hard.  It's very possible I don't know enough to have
done a good search for this topic, and I apologize if this has been
answered elsewhere.

Thanks for any insights you can offer.