I'd like to add image format capability to Android.  I'm aware of how
to set an intent filter, but I'd like to have the capability to load
all available files on storage, much like the Gallery app does.  I
don't want it to be on a file-by-file intent basis.

Is there a way to get access to a new format like "images/jpeg", but a
custom "images/format"?

Assuming I can insert this format is there any way to piggy-back on
the MediaStore capability to auto-load the new file format much like
the Gallery app does?

Thanks!