Seems so simple...create a textview, prior to adding the arrayAdapter,
apply the header as myListVew.addHeader(t);  then (or before) set the
text for the TextView (t) with t.setText(aString).  (I believe the actual
variable's name was flashCurrentMode).

Here's basically what I did (I originally deleted the code when it
failed...not good, so I'm recreating it in more generic code).

Textview t;  // defined globally

Later, while setting up the ListViews

t = new TextView(this);
String s = parameters.getFlashMode(); // Log.i verifies that s != null
t.setText(s);
mbigListView.addHeader(t);
// attach to array adapter here

That works.  The first time I make that ListView visible, it
has a header showing the current flash mode, which is exactly
what I wanted it to do.  The problem comes when I CHANGE the
flash mode, and, from within the onItemClick for mbigListView,
do (almost) the same as earlier:

First, to set s, I tried both of the following (after setting the new
parameters):

   String s = parameters.getFlashMode();
   String s = flashModes(idx);

Either way, Log.i confirms, s is "torch" (the new flash mode).
Then, continuing with setting the new header,

   t.setText(s);     // THIS causes a Null Pointer Exception//Force Close

   mbigListView.addHeader(t); // we never get this far

Why would setting the text of the TextView the second time cause a force
close (caused by a null pointer exception, where the string being
assigned was not null)?

I know I'm missing something...but what?  It seems amazingly simple,
but something obviously isn't as simple as it appears from the dev guide.

Thanks,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | DMR: So fsck was originally called

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html