I'm getting a steady trickle of reports from ICS users that two separate
app features are not working reliably on their devices, and I'm hoping
someone else here has some experience they can share. Both features involve
Alarms; both are working fine on my Galaxy Nexus, and I've had no reports
of trouble with either from pre-ICS devices.

The app in question is a clock, and the first feature is a true alarm. As
in, the user wants to wake up at 7AM, sets an alarm in my app, and behind
the scenes my app calls AlarmManager.set() with an appropriate
PendingIntent. Works fine on my GNex, but from users, I get reports like
this:

the alarm doesn't ring on time unless I'm actively using my phone. That
> kind of defeats the purpose of an alarm. The alarm that I set is for 10pm
> and on multiple occasions, it rang at 10:03, 10:07, or even later. On those
> occasions, I actually had to "remind" the alarm to ring by clicking
> around on my homescreen.

The second feature is a clock AppWidget which works via a repeating Alarm;
basically, I set up a PendingIntent in my widget's onEnabled() event, then
call AlarmManager.SetRepeating() to fire it every minute. The user reports
say that it runs for a while, and then stops - but again, I can't repro
this at all.

Unfortunately, that's about all the information I have. I've been unable to
get a useful log file from anyone for either problem. And it's possible
that these two problems are unrelated, but it seems like quite a
coincidence if so. From where I'm sitting, it sure looks like a single
problem: sometimes the Alarm intent just doesn't arrive.

I can post source code if anyone thinks it would help, but I'm not
convinced there's anything "wrong" in my code. My alarm code is actually
based on the AOSP clock app, and I've just confirmed that the alarm-setting
routine in the ICS source is identical to my code. As for the widgets, I
have another app using clock widgets and virtually the same code, and I've
had no problems reported with that one.

So, it's a real head-scratcher, but I'd be interested in any thoughts that
anyone might have. Thanks!

String