HOME calls onPause then onStop most of the time.
BACK do the same but also calls onDestroy after onStop (if you didn't
override the BACK button behavior and no dialog or menu is being
displayed).
The Acitivity.finish() function do the same as the BACK button.

You can try the following (I didn't test it):
You can have a boolean flag that your set when you press your button.
Then in onPause, test your flag:
If the flag is true (meaning you pressed the button), do nothing more.
if the flag is false it means BACK, HOME or another activity is over
yours: ensure the activity will finish by calling finish(); so that
the HOME button will do the same as the BACK one.
The side effect of this is that your activity will finish if you
launch another one over it.