There's something called PdaNet…  I think when you install it, it installs
a bunch of drivers that help with Android devices…  I installed it, and it
may have helped me talk to a VIZIO tablet on Windows… but I'm not sure.  I
discovered that waiting one or two minutes before doing "adb devices"
caused the device to show up, so it may have worked all along.

YMMV.