I would like to do a copy on a bitmap from itself, ie, shift pixels in a
bitmap by copying from one rectangle to another rectangle. The src and
destination rectangles might overlap. This "snake eating its own tail"
trick did work in Windows and Windows Mobile.

I see there is one issue logged about this on Android.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3205

However, I don't know that it was ever supposed to work. I can't find any
documentation that suggests it should.

Has anyone come up with an efficient solution for this? I know that having
yet another bitmap buffer the same size would work, but it is something I
want to avoid as it increases memory footprint (its not a small bitmap).

I'm not using native code, so a solution using smaller bitmaps and drawing
calls may not be very efficient.

Nathan