I understand the point about trying to stick to intents which have
been documented by their developers.

The problem is, even a well-intentioned but busy developer may simply
not get round to writing that documentation. The system applications
are a great example of that effect.

At least, with a discovery API, we could find out what the things were
in some reliable way. We'd also have a better chance of understanding
why our intents failed when they did. Right now, I sometimes feel like
I'm on a random hunt for a magic string. It is the single most
frustrating thing about developing for Android.

Do you think there's any chance one will appear in a future version ?

Or, can you think of any way to acheive the effect in the current
version ? I had a vague idea about feeding generalities to
PackageManager.queryIntentActivities(), but I have not found a way to
make that work.

Thanks,

Richard