You don't really have any choice, there's no "speed up the internet" method :-).

What you can do is perhaps package the top foods with your app, and
then show up those images before they load from the internet on the
app side. You could also consider storing a bunch of the images
statically at low resolution (e.g., facebook does this for AJAX image
requests, show you a low res version before downloading the high res
one and replacing it).  But the basic idea is to show something silly
until the high res image can load..

kris