there is a single ethernet port in the emulated system. It is connected to
an internal firewall/router within the emulator code that emulates all
connectivity through standard BSD sockets. Which connection is used depends
entirely on your host machine setup, but wifi or no wifi doesn't have any
importance to the emulated system.

second, wifi is not supported in the emulator because it is darn impossible
to properly emulate that at the low-level protocol layer, and doing any kind
of bridging at a higher layer requires invasive modifications to the system
that would be no use to a normal device (except that they introduce much
more complexity and potential for bugs / security issues).

in the future, we're likely to create emulator-specific system images that
can have all kinds of hacks in them to support whatever weird feature, if
possible. Right now, we're essentially using the same system images for
devices and the emulator, which makes this kind of modifications
unreasonable.

(yes, it also means that current device images already have a few
emulator-specific hacks in them, and we want to get rid of them).