I looked into several blogs related to this topic. But have not got a
suitable solution.
I use ACRA. When the application crashes I have an over ridden
uncaughtException handler in which a custom message is displayed and kill
the process and do an exit

android.os.Process.killProcess(android.os.Process.myPid());
System.exit(10);

By default android restores the activity stack after this. But I want to go
back to the root activity and start the app from there. The current
solution used in the app is in each of the activity stack is cleared if I
find that process is restarted. But this is not feasible as there are more
than 30 activities in the app and maintainability is an issue.