in that case I'd think about insert a new row into the list when the
listview is first displayed.  from the example its always going to be at
position(0) in the list so you can override its height in the getview() and
set it at 1 dp high (tip: don't set the row view to View.GONE).  At the end
of the animations you will just be fiddling around with row heights and
view contents so you shouldn't need the notifyDatasetChanged().