So I've been working in Intellij all day today, although most of the time
was spent in the setup/config process.  I initially tried to get the C++
plugin <http://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/?id=1373> to work for my NDK
related stuff but just couldn't get the paths setup correctly (I assume)
because none of my includes were resolving so I gave up.  The config of
Android SDK and JDK were a little unexpected but I wonder if that has more
to do with importing from an eclipse project or not.  Anyway this didn't
take long to setup.  I think most of the confusion is just around different
naming conventions in Intellij ("project" vs "module").  So I now have my
Android project in Intellij building, running and debugging fine.  I
decided to just download a fresh copy of eclipse CDT only for the C/C++
work and with just CDT it seems to be running fine.  So far my experience
in actually using the tool has been good, but I'm not sure it's all that
much better than eclipse.  It's definitely faster and more responsive, but
also seems to use more RAM and I really miss the "perspectives" in eclipse
(debugging in Intellij can mean you run out of screen real estate really
fast.  Double monitor would probably help here).  Now that I'm running two
IDEs (CDT for C++, Intellij for Java) I'm wondering whether I'd get a
similar level of stability from running two separate eclipse instances.

I'm going to continue to use Intellij for a good amount of time to get over
the initial learning curve on the tool itself.  I'm wary about drawing
conclusions that are more about learning how to use a hammer than whether
the hammer works well.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM, bob <b...@coolfone.comze.com> wrote:

> I tried intelliJ on Mac yesterday, and it *was* a hassle telling it where
> the JDK and Android SDK were.
>
> I'm not even sure how I got past that part.  A lot of fiddling and
> googling were involved.
>
> Anyhow, it is working now, and the fonts are pretty nice on Mac.  I'd say
> I prefer them over Eclipse.
>
> Plus, it seems a bit less sluggish than Eclipse.
>

> On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:17:28 PM UTC-5, Kostya Vasilyev wrote:

>>> Have you ever considered that this is so because is truly Intellij IDEA
>>> is awesome.
>>>
>>> Consider this: Almost every Java programmer has used eclipse at one
>>> time. So everybody who bashes Eclipse actually knows what he / she is
>>> talking about. *Have you tried Intellij IDEA?*
>>>

>> I tried several times, most recently, as it happens, today.
>>
>> First, on Ubuntu.
>>
>> Fonts in IDEA are lacking antialising or hinting or both. JetBrains'
>> response on an old bug report about this is "won't fix, Linux market is too
>> small, not worth it". Tried a couple "magic tweaks" found on the 'net,
>> still, no improvement.
>>
>> Next, rebooted into Windows 8.
>>
>> IDEA could not find the installed JDK when trying to create a new Android
>> project, so I could not get past the "new Android project" stage.
>>
>> Will try again when it won't make my eyes bleed and is able to find Java
>> :)
>>
>> -- K
>>
>>  --
> ---
> Google Groups "Android Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-developers/03O6rEVdXCY/unsubscribe?hl=en
> .
> android-developers+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.