ok, thanks, I got the picture viewer to spawn but it doesn't display
any new pictures since the viewer was run the first time.  If I reset
the phone (i.e. the picture viewer is forced to restart and rescan
pictures) and launch the viewer again then the new pictures are
displayed as expected (so this is a caching issue).

Does anyone know how to force the picture viewer to rescan photos when
it's being brought back to the front view?  Some sort of Intent flag
maybe?

Thanks.