It's not that, it's that making assumptions about you having all of the
available space on the screen and that it will never change after you start
will make your application very rigid.  For example, in the future when
there is a soft keyboard that gets shown, wouldn't you like your application
to resize to account for that?  Or if someone does a device with a little
larger screen but some kind of system controls that can be placed in that
area, wouldn't you like your UI to grow to use that space if those controls
are hidden?

Assuming that you can just look at the screen dimensions when you initialize
and count on that being constant for the rest of your life just doesn't
work.  It isn't even true on Windows where the use can drag the taskbar up
to make it larger and stuff.

So the right approach is to use what the system gives you, write a layout
view that does its layout based on the size it is given, and then whenever
the display configuration changes you will just get called again with a new
size and can layout to that.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them.