Take a look at that AOSP sources.  You can see that the built in contacts
app is saving the photos to the file system.

On the PhotoStore class in the contacts provider, here is the javadoc
comment on the class:

   1. /**
   2.  * Photo storage system that stores the files directly onto the hard
   disk
   3.  * in the specified directory.
   4.  */

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/providers/ContactsProvider/+/master/src/com/android/providers/contacts/PhotoStore.java

I know the subject tends to be a religious war, but I never store binary
data in a database unless absolutely necessary.  In this case, use the
database to store an id or url of the photo, then have a specified file
structure based on that id (could be one large directory with a photo named
after each id).

Remember,  you can also use a content provider to provide access to the
file system, so check that out as well.

Best
Ryan

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:31 PM, cybersun <quocnh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am creating an app that user can communication with other friends (IM
> app, send message, card, ...), so user have provide user's profile like id,
> name, avatar.
> My question is: what is the best way to save friend's avatar to make local
> contact list for my app?
>
> I created a local database for saving contact information, synchronize
> with a remote database on my server. In my app, can I save avatars into:
> (1) SQLite database?
> (2) SDcard?
> (3) App cache?
>
> Android Contacts app use Contacts Storage to store contact's avatar, I
> dont know what implemented inside.
>
> I saw other apps like Whatsapp,  wechat, line, zalo, ... do not save
> avatars on SDcard, so where are avatars when contact list has many contacts
> (>100).
>
> Hope you can help, thanks.

> ---
> "Android Developers" group.