What Ted said is absolutely true, I just wanted to add a little tidbit.

In the AOSP sources, the code actually checks to see if finish was called
from within onCreate and short circuits the displaying any UI.  This is so
that, if you determine your activity doesn't need to be run and call
finish() in onCreate(), you won't get flickering from the activity starting
up and then being immediately killed.

Best
Ryan

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Ted Hopp <ted.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is because of the activity
> lifecycle<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Activity.html#ActivityLifecycle>.
> When you call finish() from within onCreate(), none of the other activity
> start-up events have occurred, so the corresponding shut-down events are
> also skipped. This behavior is mentioned in the documentation for
> onCreate()<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Activity.html#onCreate(android.os.Bundle)>.

> ---
> "Android Developers" group.
> email to android-developers+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.