The "next" version of my employer's app ditches the options menu and uses
the navigation drawer for most things.  Unfortunately, that version isn't
going to be rolled out for a few months.  I was hoping to find a fix for
the current version that still uses a legacy options menu.

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 3:30:36 PM UTC-5, Nobu Games wrote:

> Sorry, I did not realize, there was a ZIP file. I was thinking the
> download button is just some big graphic and my "visual parser" in my head
> discarded it :-D
>
> Your activity is as simple as it can get and I cannot spot any mistake. It
> really may be just some rare firmware glitch and nothing much to worry
> about. Unfortunately we have to deal with these random device-specific
> oddities all the time.
>
> If you really want to work around that issue you could make use of an
> action bar and move the most important and relevant menu options there.
>

> On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:01:17 AM UTC-5, Jay Howard wrote:
>>
>> I'm seeing the following behavior (on a Samsung S4, but potentially also
>> on other Samsung devices) in an app that uses a "legacy" options menu:
>>
>> 1. User taps hardware menu button to bring up options menu.  There are
>> more than six items in the menu.
>> 2. User taps the bottom-right "more" button to access the overflow menu
>> items.
>> 3. User taps the hardware back button to return to the initial options
>> menu.
>> 4. User taps any combination of menu items, potentially multiple times
>> each.  Nothing happens.  onOptionsItemSelected() is never called.
>> 5. User taps the hardware back button to close the options menu.
>> 6. User taps the hardware menu button to display the options menu again.
>> At this point, onOptionsItemSelected() is called in quick succession for
>> each menu item the user tapped when the menu was previously displayed.
>>
>> Can anyone advise?
>>
>> I've created a simple demo app to demonstrates the behavior along with a
>> video that shows exactly what I'm talking about.  There's also a screenshot
>> with device info for the device I tested on.  I've shared them here:
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6DvDY2BvxUTRUNxWFVUNDl4QlU
>>
>> The demo app implements onCreateOptionsMenu() and onOptionsItemSelected()
>> nearly identically to the examples given here:
>>
>> http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/menus.html#options-menu
>>
>> I posted this question on StackOverflow a while back, but none of the
>>

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17180909/options-menu-locks-up-on-galaxy-s4

---
"Android Developers" group.