We have some apps that do great in India. In order to better cater for the
users in that country, we have translated our strings.xml into Hindi.

However, searching the internet it seems not all Android versions have
adequate support for Hindi, with complaints ranging from "black boxes"
where Hindi characters should show up to "garbled" Hindi output. We find it
difficult to find any hard data on which Android versions have acceptable
Hindi support and which have not.

Does anyone have any data to share on this (either empirically or from
"official" Google sources)?

Specifically:
- On which (stock) Android versions is it safe to use Hindi translations in
"values-hi/strings.xml"?
- On which (stock) Android versions is it safe to use Hindi text in a
WebView widget?

Any input would be appreciated!

---
"Android Developers" group.