I didn't compare to JSON serializers with that library because the goal is
to just do simple data marshalling with primitives and primitive arrays.
 I'm working on another library that will work as an ORM persistence layer
for SQLite. That library relies upon this one actually, so I will soon be
able to run some apples-to-apples comparisons.

To (I think) your point, some people would say that serialization of java
primitives to/from byte streams isn't a critical thing because we have JSON
parsers and/or DataOutputSteam that will do it for you.  What I found is
that the library sizes for those things are much larger than they need to
be, especially for

. simple file stores
. serializing primitive arrays data to a byte stream for transmission

So, I'm finding it useful.  Your mileage will vary of course. :-)

Cheers,

Richard

On Friday, October 4, 2013 3:39:47 PM UTC-7, Lew wrote:

> Richard Schilling wrote:
>
>> Just FYI, I've announced a pre-release of a library that is built for
>> Android which will convert Java primitives (and primitive arrays) to byte
>> arrays and back again:
>>

>> http://rschilling.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/pre-release-announcement-pend-oreille/
>>
>> License: GPL v2.
>>
>> I wrote it because marshalling of primitives and primitive arrays is such
>> as critical thing on a mobile device,
>>

> Is it?
>

>> and I didn't want to be bound by the performance or memory overhead of
>> using DataOutputStream all the time.
>>

> Measurements?
>
> How does your library compare, in a realistic environment?
>
> Measurements?
>
> Comparison to JSON serializers, etc?
>

>> This is a pre-release library, so I will be making some improvements and
>> completing important things like javadocs and a guide before the final
>> release.
>>

> --
> Lew

---