We definitely could and that is a discussion we are having for sure!
Technically we can, but from a business standpoint the OEM actually
licenses the solution. The API itself gives Android Developers access to
that licensed solution.

I am trying to come up with an offering that we can definitely include as a
service through Google Play. So we can broaden the playing field!

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:14:58 AM UTC-8, Ubuntu guy wrote:

> Thanks Eric. However, i still don't get as to why the service can't be
> distributed through the play store. Even if its installed in unsupported
> devices, the APIs like getDolbyAudioProcessing(...,...) could just return
> null and applications would anyways be handling such cases, isn't it?
>
>    The pro being any quick fix to the service can be deployed quickly via
> play store rather than being bottlenecked by OEM's update schedule, which
> is often influenced by many factors and there by delaying the dolby's fix.
>
> On Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:41:24 PM UTC-8, Eric Ang wrote:
>>
>> Hey Ubuntu, the reason the API isn't bundled is because the API makes
>> callbacks to the underlying Dolby Tech built into supported Devices. The
>> Dolby Service is definitely in Amazon Devices, but also many other OEMS.
>> We're working to get ALL OEM partners to adopt the Dolby Solution
>> (including the Dolby decoder)
>>
>> So what does that means for App Developers? Instead of having to deal
>> with a whole SDK built into your app, you integrate a small jar file that's
>> tiny which can talk to the underlying Dolby tech found on supported devices.
>>
>> We are working all those companies ;) Amazon is definitely pushing for
>> this since all their Kindle Fire HD(X) devices have Dolby built in.
>>

>> http://developer.amazon.com/public/community/post/Tx1G2N72C7VKCTR/Dolby-Raises-the-Bar-Again-for-Audio-Standards-on-Kindle-Fire
>>

>> On Sunday, January 5, 2014 7:18:12 PM UTC-8, Ubuntu guy wrote:
>>>

>>>   These new APIs seem to be fun to try but is there any reason as to why
>>> the plug-in service is not distributed through play store just like google
>>> play services?
>>> Based on what i read, any updates, bug fixes in the plug-in service
>>> would be restricted by the OEM like amazon in this case, isn't it? This
>>> isn't good for users and application developers.
>>>
>>>   Besides, whats the idea behind the plug in service? Why not let the
>>> linked jar to directly call upon Dolby's audio components? Is it because of
>>> permissions?
>>> Finally, hope you guys work directly work with companies like Netflix,
>>> Google, Amazon and popular games for quick adoption.

---
"Android Developers" group.