Thanks.  This works and I believe is much closer to what I was hoping for.

I guess my next/final question is, isn't there a way that you can use
styles to tint all of the icons in the action bar?  We have an app that we
want to allow customers style, and would like to allow them to change the
color on all icons including options menu icons in the action bar?  We want
to do this as a group. Not individually.

Thanks again.

- Kevin

On Friday, May 23, 2014 7:46:50 PM UTC-4, b0b wrote:

> If you don't want to copy / modify classes:
>

> private void setActionBarUpTint(int color) {
>
>         int upId = getResources().getIdentifier("android:id/up", null,
> null);
>         if(upId == 0) return ;
>
>         View view = getWindow().getDecorView().findViewById(upId);
>         if(!(view instanceof ImageView)) return ;
>
>         ImageView imageView = (ImageView) view;
>         imageView.setColorFilter(color);
>     }

---