I haven't done anything with socket.io, but a couple things I've come
across from just a few very quick searches... perhaps these will help?
Also, my advice in the future would be to look for a forum dedicated to
whatever library/framework you are having problems with...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17824757/socket-io-firing-callback-function-multiple-times
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22495570/socket-io-nodejs-chat-why-do-messages-emit-multiple-times
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17057455/socket-io-firing-multiple-events

Also, I'm assuming you haven't seen this tutorial?
http://socket.io/blog/native-socket-io-and-android/

If you had, you would have noticed this, essentially allowing you to not
have to worry about creating a singleton or moving socket.io calls to an
application class or service:

"IO.socket() returns a socket for http://chat.socket.io with the default
options. Notice that the method caches the result, so you can always get a
same Socket instance for an url from any Activity or Fragment."

Hope that helps... I doubt you will find very many developers on here with
in-depth knowledge of socket.io (I had never heard of it before).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/CAOq06s-iHOqS3AzkoWm9Dj7sJCT2E2HOJhw4HafSNMn2yOnVKg%40mail.gmail.com.