You want something like this in your activity:

import android.media.MediaScannerConnection;
import
android.media.MediaScannerConnection.MediaScannerConnectionClient;

private static class MediaScannerNotifier implements
MediaScannerConnectionClient {
    private Context mContext;
    private MediaScannerConnection mConnection;
    private String mPath;
    private String mMimeType;

    public MediaScannerNotifier(Context context, String path, String
mimeType) {
        mContext = context;
        mPath = path;
        mMimeType = mimeType;
        mConnection = new MediaScannerConnection(context, this);
        mConnection.connect();
    }

    public void onMediaScannerConnected() {
        mConnection.scanFile(mPath, mMimeType);
    }

    public void onScanCompleted(String path, Uri uri) {
        // OPTIONAL: scan is complete, this will cause the viewer to
render it
        try {
            if (uri != null) {
                Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW);
                intent.setData(uri);
                mContext.startActivity(intent);
            }
        } finally {
            mConnection.disconnect();
            mContext = null;
        }
    }
}

To scan a file, you just create a new MediaScannerNotifier:

new MediaScannerNotifier(path, mimeType);