I'm going to add chat functionality to my app. After long searches I came
to the conclusion that the best solution would be ejabberd/openfire + smack
4.1 for android, but I have some things that I can't wrap my ahead around.
I don't know if I'm supposed to post a question like this here. Just
comment if not and I'll delete it, but I don't know of any other place that
I can ask.

Now I have a facebook login and some fields that post data to a server and
that data is uploaded into mysql tables. I found multiple tutorials on how
to make the openfire connection, but once I achieve that am I supposed to
forget about my old implementation ? Is openfire just for instant
messaging, or does it behave like a server in which I can add tables, query
them, add data and etc. ?If so how? I mean in my current configuration I
have php which handles all of that, but I couldn't find anything in
openfire that would let me do such a thing.

When I configured openfire I saw that a lot of tables are created(ofuser,
etc.), and I don't know what any of those are for, but I assume that I'm
not supposed to mess with them.

Am I going to implement the auto-registration within the facebook
login(user= fb id and password = token)?

Am I going to use openfire just to handle sending the messages, but store
them on my current server in a table? It sounds that the phone would have
to deal with too much- send the message to my server(to store it) and then
to the openfire server?

I would also like to make an website for this app. Should I make it in such
a way that when the message is submitted into the php form(to store it)
somehow it's going to send it to the openfire to handle the downstream?

I've also looked to GCM, but I understood that I should only use that for
offline notifications.

How should I implement this?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/6e4fab98-7287-4a38-b703-778695550fb4%40googlegroups.com.