I am sorry for being dense...

How would I change setIcon(R.drawable.myIcon) using your technique?
Are you saying do a global change in the base project by replacing all
references of R.drawable.* with getResources().getDrawable
(R.drawable.*)?  Then during runtime it will properly resolve to the
res directory of the base library not the res directory of the project
using the library?