The difference, I believe, is more in the maturity of the hardware.

In the PC/laptop world, there is already a lot of standards on relation on
how the hardware interfaces are made. Most devices are mostly the same, or
at least "have to" respond to the same interfaces, so their drivers are the
only thing that need to be added. And Windows in phones is sold only in a
few devices; the relation is more similar to iPhone/iOs that to what
Android's market is and it's not comparable.

The only way Google could imitate that is if they don't allow the OEMs and
Carriers to change anything on the versions of Android they ship their
devices with.

If they could try to enforce that, most OEMs would decide not to use
Android, because they WANT to make things different visually, and because
they NEED to optimise stuff on relation with their hardware.

The solution Google found is to put more and more functionality into the
Google Play Services app and other independent apps. That way sometimes
they can force changes on most devices. That's the closest they can get to
an "OTA" update without alienating the OEMs.

Marina

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-developers/CACaNmX3N3y6M4WwkT10ZcD3dB2WSPP7cYoLk%3DxkYopDFaz5ojA%40mail.gmail.com.