excellent advice, thanks:
> So back to the whole issue of menu icons...  if there are standard menu
> icons you want to use, I recommend just copying them out of the platform
> source and into your app, so you can make sure that the other icons you
> design remain consistent with them.

the old UI consistency problem is one of choice vs. lack of choice, or
more-choice vs. less-choice.

in general the less-choice approach works well for a little while then
often breaks down or loses to a competing more-choice approach. I for
one prefer the more-choice approach, coupled with some guidance for
the current recommended choices and some care for some consistency.

Over the long term, e.g., decades, the best or preferred UI techniques
are determined by the users. The problem of choices is mostly only for
the new platforms, such as Android with its very open, small&large
devices, lots of internal components, touch-based, voice-activated
(eventually) platform. It will take a few years but I expect that new
dominant UI techniques will emerge from Android and similar devices.
It's a lot of fun to be in the phase where anyone can try to invent a
new UI technique. So for now, lets have freedom of choices and go for
it, invent.

serge